Friday, July 1, 2011

Beach Boy - Guest Design Team Layout for "Two Scrapbook Friends"

I was so flattered when a local scrapbook store, Two Scrapbook Friends (2SF), asked me to be a guest designer for July 2011. My package of goodies from 2SF includes papers from Cosmo Cricket's Salt Air Collection, Cosmo Cricket Glubers, some Bella Blvd Baby Blooms,  a strip of gold adhesive pearls and a large piece of fabric. I'll have several posts for the projects I completed for 2SF...

My first layout is of me with my son on his first trip to the beach. He LOVES the water but was a little hesitant about going in the lake...we ended up having a great time though!
For this layout I layered punched strips of the Cosmo Cricket Salt Air papers on top of a punched strip of some coordinating Core'dinations paper as well as a Core'dinations background page. I smeared some Stickles in Christmas Red along each of the strips of the lighter orange, punched Core'dinations paper -- I wanted it to look a bit like sand was stuck to it. I then added dots of Liquid Pearls in Gold Pearl along the top and bottom edge of the punched layers to really define the edges. I matted the photo and journalling on the same paper as the background page and I also added a few dots of liquid pearl on the photo mat beside the the Baby Blooms. I added some eyelets and stitching between the photo and journalling mats - I wanted it to look a bit like an old life-jacket. I used a date sticker from the Como Cricket Salt Air Cardstock Stickers and printed the rest of the journalling on Cream Cardstock. The title letters are Fabric Thickers in Apricot and I added a ruched bit of fabric to the title to coordinate with the large "sun-flower" on the page.
This was my first time working with Glubers and I have to say - I LOVED them. To create this "sun-flower" I first sprayed a large strip of cheesecloth with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Candy Apple Red. Once that dried, I knotted one end of the strip of cheesecloth and attached it to the centre of the Gluber and then tightly rolled the cheesecloth around the knotted centre to create the spiral. I then added some Stickles in Fruit Punch to the grooves of the spiral. I decided the colour of the spiral wasn't quite what I wanted so I spritzed it with some Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Lemon Zest to tone down the red. To create the ruffle around the spiral, I hemmed both sides of a long strip of fabric and then did some simple gathering stitching along one of the hemmed edges and --voila -- my "sun-flower".

TFL,
Sarah

Materials Used:
Pattered Papers: Cosmo Cricket Salt Air Collection - Coral Bloom and Half Shell; Core'dinations Cardstock (light and dark orange); Recollections Cardstock (Cream); American Crafts Thickers - Dolce Fabric Letter Stickers in Apricot; Bella Blvd Baby Blooms in Saffron; Cosmo Cricket Glubers; Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Candy Apple Red and Lemon Zest; Stickles in Fruit Punch and Christmas Red; Liquid Pearls in Gold Pearl; Fabric; Cheesecloth; Eyelets (from stash); DFN Craft Thread (light orange); Fiskars Edge Punch; American Crafts This to That Glue Runner.

No comments: