Friday, July 22, 2011

Hope

In June, my dear Mother-in-Law passed away unexpectedly and my husband's family gave me her memory book to scan and preserve the photos for the family. On the cover of her album was the most beautiful photo of her that was taken when she was quite young (c. 1959). I've entitled this layout Hope - because I think that's what it portrays - the innocence and hope of a young girl who is dreaming of what her life may bring. I've included a verse from a poem by Emily Dickinson as a tribute to my Mother-in-Law's indomitable spirit; while she didn't have the easiest life, she never stopped searching for her happiness and never lost hope that she'd find it. The poem reads:
"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul. 
And sings the tune -- without the words,
And never stops at all."
I knew when I saw this photo that I wanted to use Glitz Design's Laced with Grace papers as they complement the tones in the photo so beautifully. The base sheet was originally plain orange; I've embossed it using a background stamp and gold embossing powder. I then distressed and inked the edges of the base page with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The floral sheet was trimmed with wavy scissors and then water-distressed (also with Vintage Photo ink). I made sure to add some larger tears to the page so the embossing on the base page could peak through. The photo was matted on brown textured cardstock that I punched with a Fiskar's edge punch. I layered the matted photo on top of some distressed Glitz Design Plaid paper - I used both sides of the paper - the dark orange and the plaid.
The floral cluster is a combination of Prima, Recollections and A Bride's Wish paper flowers. The dark, mossy-green flowers were originally white, so I misted them with Smooch Spritz in Mossy Mist to complement the green tones in the paper.  The Dusty Attic flourish that I tucked into the distressed peek-a-boo was inked with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink and then embossed with the same stamped image as the base page (the image isn't really defined on the chipboard though) and then inked the flourish with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I also added some glossy accents to the flourish to make it stand out.
 I cut the title on my Silhouette and embossed it with gold embossing powder to match the embossing on the base page. I added a Maya Road kraft envelope, which I also stamped/embossed in gold using the background stamp.  I then inked the edges of the envelope with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The close-up also provides a good image of the embossing on the base page under the peek-a-boo. I printed the poem verse on kraft cardstock and then crumpled the paper slightly and distressed and inked the edges.

TFL,
Sarah

Bird is the Word "Hope" Challenge

Materials Used: Patterned Paper: Glitz Design Laced with Grace Collection - Floral, Rose and Plaid; Bazzill Basics textured cardstock (Chocolate Brown); Recollections Kraft Cardtock;  VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad; Prima Clear Stamps; Stampendous Embossing Powder in  Detail Gold; Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo; A Bride's Wish Wild Open Rose; Recollections Mulberry Paper Mini Roses; Prima paper roses (from ScrapThat Kits); Maya Road Kraft Envelope; Dusty Attic Flourish #7; Ranger Glossy Accents; Memory Tape Runner XL; Glue Dots - Mini and Memory Book.

8 comments:

Catherine SIWCZAK said...

congratulations for this gorgeous layout, full of tenderness ! Great souvenir !

2amscrapper said...

superb embossing and inking for such a beautiful tribute. I like the envelope and poem tucked to the side of that amazing photo.

Cathy said...

Beautiful LO Sarah.. ADORE all your distressing and embossing and what a lovely sentiment!! Thanks for playing along at BITW :))

Lizzyc said...

this is really beautiful and made with so much love.. love it..

Lisa Amiet said...

This is really lovely. I'm sure your MIL would love it! xoxo

sandi said...

This is simply gorgeous! What an honor in memory of your mother-in-law. Beautiful pic!

Ella Swan said...

Such a beautiful vintage layout - thanks for joining in at Bird is the Word :)

Chloe said...

What a lovely page - the distressing is fabulous! Thanks for playing along at Bird Is The Word :-) ... have a great week!!