Thursday, August 15, 2013

it's a Sweet Life ~ Scraps of Darkness August Kit Reveal ~ Rustic

Scraps Of Darkness has just released it's August Kit ~ Rustic, and it is utterly fantastic! This kit features perfectly coordinating papers by Farmhouse Paper Company, Authentique and Kaisercraft and outstanding complementary embellishments - Melinda has outdone herself in putting this kit together!
This month's sketch was created by new Design Team Member Laura Gilhuly. Here is Laura's sketch:
And here is my take on the sketch! We celebrated my son's third birthday recently and I took this photo of him 'helping' make some birthday cupcakes. I converted the photo to sepia (heavy on the red tones) to coordinate with the layout (since my son had a very bright red Spiderman shirt on that totally clashed with the red on the layout). I used one of the Authentique stickers from the kit as the title for this layout - "it's a Sweet Life".
 
I used the Farmhouse Paper Company papers and flowers from the kit and added some burlap and twine from my stash! I did some stamping and paint splattering too! I used a Kaisercraft Distressed Clear Stamp and brown ink to stamp the top right and bottom left corners and used a Bo Bunny Stained Textures Clear Stamp with the same ink (but sprayed with water to lighten it slightly) for the rings and splats. Once I had finished layering the papers, I added a really fine splatter with watered-down acrylic paint in Antique White to make it look as if the LO had been dusted with baking flour. 
The Farmhouse papers are a nice heavy weight and were perfect for tearing/distressing to create the layers for this layout! And, I just loved the recipe cards - they were perfect for this fun picture! The Farmhouse flowers in the Flower Add-On are perfectly coordinated with these papers, and I also added a couple of Petaloo butterflies (from the July SOD Embellishment Add-On) to my flower cluster.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today to see my first layout with the AMAZING Scraps of Darkness August Kit! I'll have some more projects with this kit to share with you later in the month - so be sure to come back for another visit!

2 comments:

Sandi Clarkson said...

What a fantastic page! So perfect for your gorgeous son!

Sharon Fritchman said...

WOW! Your layout is absolutely gorgeous! I love how you scrapped that wonderful photo with this kit! Just beautifully!!!!!